YouTube star KSI has revealed the reason his former opponent Alex Wassabi suddenly pulled out of his boxing match weeks before fight night.
British YouTuber, rapper and aspiring boxer KSI was due to return to the ring after a two-year hiatus in August.
For his self-proclaimed “warm-up match”, he had chosen Alex Wassabi as his opponent – an American YouTuber who beat KSI’s little brother Deji in a fight earlier this year.
However, Wassabi pulled out just weeks before the night of the fight, forcing KSI to replace him with British rapper and semi-professional footballer ‘Swarmz’.
KSI and Alex Wassabi were scheduled to face off in late August – but Wassabi pulled out a month before fight night.
This is the third influencer boxing match to struggle this summer, with Jake Paul and Austin McBroom both having to cancel or postpone their matches outright due to health and weight issues with their opponents.
KSI spoke about the Wassabi fight on an Aug. 9 episode of the Flagrant podcast with comedian Andrew Schulz, revealing that Alex allegedly got a doctor’s note for some alleged injuries ahead of their Aug. 27 fight.
That’s not all; KSI also claimed that Wassabi threatened to sue him if he misrepresented the situation.
“So there are rumors – I think he said he was going to try to sue me if I said that incorrectly – so I legally have to say he has a doctor’s note that says he has either a concussion or a broken hand, not sure which of the two, but he is unable to fight,” the YouTuber explained.
“Brother, legit, he didn’t want smoke,” he continued.
(Subject starts at 9:55)
Although KSI’s August 27 fight against Swarmz is still set to take place, he is seriously considering a fight with Jake Paul for 2023 at Wembley Stadium in a ‘winner takes all’ extravaganza.
While the details have yet to be ironed out, KSI’s fight against Swarmz looks more like an appetizer for one of the most anticipated influencer boxing matches of all time…if it ever happens.