WT drops assault case against Chukwumerije


… as the Olympic medalist gives up taekwondo

WORLD Taekwondo has confirmed that it has ended its investigation into the assault case involving 2009 Olympic bronze medalist Chika Chukwumerije.

WT’s new position depends on Chukwumerije’s decision to stop taekwondo.

Chukwumerije, a bronze medalist at the 2008 Beijing Olympics, announced last month that he was quitting the sport to focus on his career as an engineer.

“After these many years of involvement in sport, of being passionate about the sport and investing in it, it is very important that I take a break and move on to another career,” he said. to journalists in Abuja.

“I have a degree in mechanical engineering and a master’s degree in operations and supply chain management. I was a first-class student, top student, and in two years I’ll be 40.

“It is therefore important that I also plan for my future, that I am financially and professionally stable. As much as I love my sports family, it is important to start this other career. I have a very good career in my professional career.

Before announcing his decision to resign, Chukwumerije had been accused of assaulting female athletes Fatimah Abdullahi and Esther Uzoukwu, while they were in a camp in Abuja, in preparation for the 2015 African Games.

Although he denied the allegations, his libel case against Adeyemi-Enilari, president of the Delateur Foundation, was struck out by the Abuja High Court on May 31.

This prompted Adeyemi-Enilari to file a claim with WT against Chukwumerije.

PUNCH had previously reported that WT had embarked on the petition against Chukwumerije, claiming he found him guilty of the allegations, following the court ruling, which he has yet to appeal.

The world body also decided that Chukwumerije should undergo “safeguarding education” from a recognized institution.

In a different twist however, WT, in a letter to Adeyemi-Enilari on Monday, said it was shutting down the case because Chukwumerije informed them that he had “resigned from his WT-related posts”.

“I can hereby inform you that Mr. Chukwumerije has told WT that he has decided to focus his efforts elsewhere and has resigned from his positions related to WT. Our subsequent examination found no information to the contrary. In view of this situation, and unless new information is provided elsewhere, WT notes that there is no longer any case in dispute within the jurisdiction of WT and therefore the case will be closed in accordance with Article 3.3 (D ) of the Code of Disciplinary Actions and Appeals, ”WT Acting Disputes coordinator, Corbin Min, said in a letter to Adeyemi-Enilari.

Copyright PUNCH.

All rights reserved. This material and any other digital content on this website may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without the express prior written permission of PUNCH.

Contact: [email protected]

Previous St. Petersburg dojo goes above and beyond for its students
Next Ford says Ontario pit bull ban doesn't change, expresses sympathy for boy bitten by dog

No Comment

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *